Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Beckley Exhibition Coal Mine

Great mine tour today. Marvin our guide, had experience as a miner as well as experience giving the tours. The mine stays 58 degrres year round and was a nice relief from the hot days we've had.  My favorite aspect of the tour was when he explained to us about the under cutting, then how the miners would dig then drill then set off explosions and have to leave that area before the blasts went off. I cant imagine having to work day after day under those conditions. I liked seeing how things in the mine changed over time. The outside buildings are filled with memoriabilia and artifacts from mining times. I really liked the beauty shop, and the hair permanent machine.



1 comment:

  1. We DID have a great tour guide! I also heard that Friends of Coal has made plans to put an extension on the tour that show advancements in mining technology. That should be neat to see.

    ReplyDelete